[pct-l] Smoking on the trail

Junaid Dawud jdawud at gmail.com
Wed Mar 13 22:23:52 CDT 2013

So I just resubscribed to the pct-l....seems not much has changed. :)

First, to answer your original question of whether many or any thru hikers smoke pot on their hikes, yes. I would say that about half do, perhaps as many as 3/4.

Incidentally you'll be hard pressed to find a more intelligent and highly educated group than a random sample of thru hikers....lots of PhDs, MDs, and very accomplished people out there. And yeah, lots of them light up. I know of at least one hiker that smoked pot with an NPS ranger.

Those attempting a thru hike do owe the community the respect of discretion - one bad hiker REALLY CAN ruin it for everyone. It HAS happened. Most DO have the good sense to be respectful and discreet though. And to abstain when indulging would be disrespectful to a Trail Angel, town, fellow non smoking hiker, etc.

Don't worry, you'll find plenty of mj friendlies out there.

----Speshul 41