[pct-l] anti-protozoals

Kristin Hamann aggie03.kh at gmail.com
Wed Mar 13 23:33:00 CDT 2013

I believe Dr. Google is mistaken here (see FDA label below).  Ciprofloxacin
is not labeled for giardiasis and is probably not very effective against it
or the other common causes of diarrhea.  It may be prescribed in cases of
diarrhea if your doctor suspects "traveler's diarrhea" such as Shigella,
Salmonella, E.coli, or Campylobacter.  Side effects include diarrhea,
nausea, and in rare cases ruptured tendon, photosensitization (increased
risk of sunburn), and nerve damage.  Inappropriate use of this class of
antibiotics also promotes antibiotic resistance.  I personally would not
self-medicate with this; use only under doctor's orders.

**Disclaimer: I am a veterinarian with a PhD in Basic Medical Sciences.  I
am not an MD and cannot legally diagnose or treat people.**

Dr. k

http://www.fda.gov/downloads/Drugs/EmergencyPreparedness/BioterrorismandDrugPreparedness/UCM130802.pdf