[pct-l] "Born to Run", shoes, and feet.

Tom Holz tom.holz at gmail.com
Wed Mar 13 21:04:11 CDT 2013

Good advice, Dan.

I completed my thru-hike in lightweight "neutral" running shoes, definitely nowhere near a minimalist shoe, but I still used a barefoot running style gait.  Despite being 6'4", my stride was shorter than maybe half the other thru hikers that year.

Take it slow at first because changing your gait changes how forces stress your body, and while your muscles will adapt very quickly (in a matter of weeks), your connective tissue adapts much slower, and you want to give your tendons, ligaments, and fascia time to adjust to the new stress patterns.

(I personally think we see a fair number of thru-hikers with shin splints a couple weeks north of the border because they have their muscular trail legs, so they push harder and overload their connective tissue support systems.  This is purely a hypothesis.)

Bigfoot

On Mar 13, 2013, at 8:52 PM, Dan Jacobs <youroldpaldan at gmail.com> wrote:

> You should try them, and change the way you walk. This is what I've done,
> and it has worked great for me! My feet and lower legs are like springs! I
> have a smooth, floating gait.
>
> Dan Jacobs
> Washougal
> On Mar 13, 2013 5:33 PM, "Bow Tyler" <bowtyler at me.com> wrote:
>
>> I just finished Born to Run as well and found it very interesting. It
>> definitely changed my outlook on running, however, I am even more confused
>> about what shoes to get for my hike. I would like to try the more barefoot
>> minimalist type trail runners instead of rugged thicker ones but don't know
>> if that's a bad idea while carrying the extra pack weight (less than 10lbs
>> base). Any thoughts? Thanks.
>> -Bow
>>
>> On Mar 13, 2013, at 10:40 AM, Dan Jacobs <youroldpaldan at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> I've been listening to "Born to Run" by Chris McDougal about barefoot
>>> running, shoes , feet, etc. I am through chapter 25. Thank you so much
>>> to those that brought this book to my attention.
>>>
>>> Oh.
>>> My.