[pct-l] Plantar Fasciitis and KT Tape

Diane Soini of Santa Barbara Hikes diane at santabarbarahikes.com
Sat Mar 9 12:45:18 CST 2013

I have never had Plantar Fasciitis so I never gave an answer to what
to do. I honestly think that nobody actually knows what causes or
cures it since people have opposite causes and solutions.

I did have pain on the tops of my feet like Marcia, actually along
the long bones of the feet. I think I got stress fractures. My
solution was more flexible shoes. Not so much minimalist, just more
on the flexible and cushioned end of the spectrum rather than the
supportive end. That allowed me to finish the trail.

Nowadays I have some NB Minimus and I love them. I wear them daily.
They do feel a little thin on rocky trail and I can get some fatigue
about watching my step (not to mention they attract stickers) when I
backpack in them.

Another solution that seems to work well for me is to wear very loose-
fitting, very wide, slightly too-big trail shoes. I have some mens
Keens. They have a pretty square toebox to fit my square foot.
They're at least one size too big. I wear thin socks with them so
they are even more loose. I removed the default insoles and put cheap
foam ones in for softness (the stitching inside sometimes is
abrasive) and even more room. They feel clunky, clumsy and awkward
with an overly large heel that feels like it's in the way but they do
give me pretty good protection from thorns and rocks and being so
loose like slippers they're not interfering with my feet's nature
motion.