[pct-l] Poultry sheds at Mile 4.6?

shon mcganty smcganty at yahoo.com
Fri Mar 8 10:28:26 CST 2013

I did a 3-day hike Feb 1st (Southern Terminus to Lauguna Mtns) and saw these sheds too.  I don't remember them from my thru hike, must be fairly new.  No, I wouldn't get off the PCT to try to get water there, I think it would be a waste to energy to hike extra miles to get water at only mile 4.5.

One thing I learned from my hike is to bring twizzers and do tick checks.  I must have flicked off 30-35 ticks from my legs in the first two days.  I never saw a tick on my NOBO or SOBO hike here, so I wasn't sure if there are more of them in Feb. vs. May and October or what.  I did constant tick checks, and always found them before they bit/dug in.  At Long Canyon creek I sat down to eat lunch, and I found a mutant tick that made me yelp in fear and flick it off immediately.  It was huge, twice the size of any tick I'd been seeing, with a round dome-like shape back, with two or three or four black dots.  One part of my brain yelled "tick" and flicked it off before the higher functioning part of the brain realized it was just a ladybug.  Then I looked around and there were several hundred lady bugs in the grasses around me.

Anywho, have a good hike out there everybody.