[pct-l] Irresponsible March 1st (a week late) Sierra Entry Prediction

Greg Hummel bighummel at aol.com
Thu Mar 7 16:11:38 CST 2013

This year, like every other year since 1977, I put myself in a thru-hiker's mind and try to out guess Mother on when the earliest date might be for an experienced and appropriately geared-up hiker to leave Kennedy Meadows.

This year is shaping up to be a thru-hiker's dream; only 51% of normal in the Sth Sierra!

Thus, I wager once again, that "Ray Day" will be two weeks late this year for entering the Sierra and entering on or about June 1st might work.

Caveats; YMMV, HYOH, and Mother can be a fickle b!tch, dumping huge amounts of snow in late spring storms that occur about 20% of the time!

Happy trails,

Greg Hummel

My favorite transportation is my legs!