[pct-l] Navigation 'kit' options

Elizabeth Clements elizabethjoyclements at gmail.com
Thu Mar 7 11:03:39 CST 2013

Hello Everyone,

Thanks to you all who have shared your perspectives, stories, and
support regarding experience level.  I have another more general
question about navigation and technology.  I know there are various
gadgets, gizmos and do dads out there nowadays, and I'm wondering what
everyone is using.  I was thinking about going a more old fashion
route with printed maps and compass set-up, but it sounds like a lot
of people are utilizing I-phones and the like.  Since I don't have a
smart phone, I'm looking into other options.  If I don't take a phone,
what is the best, but minimal navigation 'kit'?  Would it be better to
just invest in a phone (that has maps, gps and such built in) and skip
the other options for lighter weight, or does battery/charger weight
basically just counteract that strategy?  Plus if the phone dies or
doesn't get reception, then I won't have any wayfinding tools except
nature.  Thoughts?

Again, thank you.