[pct-l] Beginner experience level

Diane Soini of Santa Barbara Hikes diane at santabarbarahikes.com
Thu Mar 7 08:59:37 CST 2013

When I set out on the trail I had not read Yogi's guides, I had never
heard of kickoff, I didn't have halfmile's maps and totally expected
I wouldn't see another soul for the months I was out there. I had the
wrong shoes, a pack that hurt my back, a resupply plan that
underestimated my hiking abilities and like anyone, a few extra
things to mail home as soon as possible. I had been backpacking
before, but I was surprised by the PCT because in many ways, hiking
the PCT is not really backpacking. It's something different from
that. More like hiking with some sleeping thrown in and generally a
tour of the small-town and wilderness American West. My favorite
Continental Divide CD is the one with Scarlet and Wildflower. It was
a very first backpacking trip for one of them. I hiked last summer
for a week with a CDT thru-hiker who was on her very first backpack
trip, too. Being a beginner is not really a disadvantage.