[pct-l] Hiking sticks.

Diane Soini of Santa Barbara Hikes diane at santabarbarahikes.com
Tue Mar 5 19:30:01 CST 2013

I have a friend who had some trekking poles with the holes and puh-in/
pop-out thingies. They lasted forever, probably 10 years of 1 or 2
hikes a week plus occasional backpack trips. I think one of them
finally broke but it wasn't the locking mechanism that broke.

I have poles that are fixed. I hated readjusting them all the time
and about the height for my tent is a good enough height for walking
so I ordered them to fit my tent. The only drawback is I can't carry
them on my Vespa so I have to keep my older poles around for days I
drive my Vespa to the trail.

I've never found the twist lock kind to be dangerous. What is
dangerous is not having the strength and flexibility to recover from
a slip. You should not need to rely on your poles. They should merely
assist.