[pct-l] Hiking Poles and Ice Axes

Brian Lewis brianle8 at gmail.com
Mon Mar 4 12:51:57 CST 2013

Steel-Eye listed quite a number of issues with what he refers to as a
"pick-pole", i.e., a trekking pole modified to add a self-arrest pick on top
of the handle.  I used a self-arrest pole (Black Diamond Whippet) on the CDT
and found it to be a good choice so --- not in the spirit of argument but
just to give a different perspective, I'd like to respond to his comments.

--> "Some people recommend using hiking pole equipped with an ice axe-like
pick above its grip.  I?m always interested in clever adaptations but, at
the very best, I believe this combination tool is a solution in search of a
problem.  Supposedly a hiker will carry this tool in lieu of one of the
hiking poles, and use it for self-arrest should the need arise."

I found it to be an excellent choice as an "always there" self-arrest
option.  I only had to self-arrest once (in Montana) but it stopped me just
fine.   The key, the really excellent benefit of a self-arrest pole is that
it bypasses the conundrum I'm sometimes faced with: I'm better able to stop
myself with an ice axe in my hand, but I'm less likely to fall in the first
place in some situations with trekking poles.      This way I sort of get to
have my cake and eat it too.

Clearly that's not true on really steep slopes where one wants to
self-belay.  This stuff is situational.  Much of Montana was snow covered
when I went through going SOBO on the CDT, and I was pretty much always
happy to have the self-arrest pole.

--> "Carrying one conventional pole and one heaver pick-pole is out of
balance at best, and it feels strange, ..."

I acknowledge this point --- there is a bit of an out-of-balance feeling as
the Black Diamond Whippet is a heavy trekking pole.  I was happy to mail it
home and swap back to "even up" my trekking poles when I was done with snow
(but I would have been equally happy to mail home an ice axe at that point
too).    I think the best option would be a more normal pole with a
Grivel-like arrest spike unit that very reliably and easily mounts on and
comes off, so that I could carry that extra weight on my back rather than on
my pole when not in significant snow.   But human nature being what it is,
maybe it's better that it was just "always there".

--> "The pick-pole is not a rated ice axe, and the manufacturer?s
instructions specifically state that the tool is not to be swung by the
handle for chopping footholds, etc."

I have no issues with that.  It's all a matter of balancing risk vs. reward.
On the PCT I used a ULA carbon fiber faux-axe that also wasn't rated as an
axe.  "Unrated" isn't automatically the same as "therefore you will die if
you try to use it".   I do understand the idea of preferring a B-rated axe.

Chopping footholds:  true, but ... I pretty much never do that.  How many
thru-hikers end up chopping footsteps?  If I absolutely needed to do that,
I'd re-think my chosen route.

I think that the lack of self-belay is the bigger issue, btw.   Again, it's
a trade-off, and you adjust your route to what your equipment and experience
and conditions all suggest is the best option.   Ditto use of partial, full,
or no crampons.

--> "I sometimes hike with an ice axe and, except for use in digging a
cat-hole, the most use I give it is to occasionally whack a step in the
snowpack.  Since I want to carry a rated ice axe for chopping as well as
arrest, what would I possibly do with a pick-pole?"

Okay, here's a very valid issue: an ice axe is indeed much better at digging
a cathole!  :-)   Seriously, I borrowed my hiking partners axe on a daily
basis for this important task, just on an "amount of use" basis, I guess one
really could argue that it's significant.  Except for the fact that once we
both got rid of our self-arrest tools, we were back to digging the way that
most backpackers manage this most of the time ...

An occasional whack of a step in the snowpack --- I don't know what to say
other than "I pretty much don't do that".   I'm sure there are situations
where it makes sense. I suspect the most common one is when leading a group
up a route that not all group members are well equipped for, or just to make
the route safer.

--> "Apparently I?m supposed to buy a pair of hiking poles, and leave one of
them home; then buy and carry a single pick-pole, the cost of which is about
the same as a pair of hiking poles; then finally buy, and additionally
carry, a rated ice axe for chopping.  For me, that?s not going to happen."

It wouldn't happen for me either --- the point of the self-arrest pole is so
that you DON'T have to carry (and possibly not even buy) an ice axe.  I
certainly wouldn't carry both.  I do acknowledge the "leave one of them
home" thing for the trekking poles.  But if you're doing more "trekking" and
less "climbing", and not with a group that requires a standard (and rated)
axe (which I often am), a self-arrest trekking pole could make sense for
you.  Or at least it made sense for me; I'm not suggesting that everyone
should make the same choice, even in quite the same situation.   This is IMO
another instance of HYOH.

--> "My final concern is about carrying an un-sheathed pick point on a pole.
An ice axe is carried in the hand about 5% of the time over snowpack.  The
remainder of the time it safely rides on the back of the pack.  When in
hand, care must be taken not to fall on the point and hurt one?s self.
 Conversely, the pick-pole is presumed to be carried in the hand all the
time.  Its manufacturer states in the instructions that in the event of a
spill the user should avoid ?self-evisceration?.  If I ever found myself
carrying a pole with a pick I would improvise some kind of sheath
arrangement to blunt
its possible damage to my precious ?viscera?."

Another valid point, but one that's addressed.   And of course it's an issue
with carrying an unsheathed axe as well OR an axe with no sheathe on a pack.
I've been nearly poked more than once by someone's unsheathed axe when it
was on their pack.
The Whippet comes with a plastic sheathe unit that's very easy to put on and
take off.   Take it off if you think there's much of a chance of falling on
a steep slope.  Keep it on all of the other times.  Voila, no problem.
Hey, and if you need an impromptu weapon (all of you testosterone-poisoned
types who want to carry big knives or other weapons on trail) --- you've got
quite an impressive knuckle spike right there when you want it, to make you
feel macho!  :-)

The "ice axe is carried in the hand about 5% of the time over snowpack" is
certainly another valid issue, and per comments above I would prefer to not
have the extra weight in one hand all the time.  I was walking in a whole
lot of snow though, day after day of it, so it made a little more sense for
me perhaps.  And it's odd what a person can get used to; I eventually got so
that it just didn't bother me having mismatched pole weights.

I will offer the one minor advantage of the self-arrest pole that went a
SMALL way to making up for the lack of it being a good cathole digging tool:
it was a dandy pinecone sweeper for campsites, much like swinging a golf
club.

Please don't take the above to suggest that I advocate that every thru-hiker
should opt for a self-arrest pole over an ice axe in significant snow.  I
do, however, think that it's a valid option to consider.  As in all things,
consider the various points on both sides and decide for yourself.

       Brian Lewis / 'Gadget'