[pct-l] [John Muir Trail] Hiking sticks.

Brian Lewis brianle8 at gmail.com
Mon Mar 4 12:18:06 CST 2013

"After running our own tests of twist-lock poles vs. cam-lock poles on our
video-instruction tour of the southern JMT in early May, June, and July of
2010, we were thoroughly disgusted with twist-locks and raved about the
cam-locks. "

Ned, I always wonder if you're using the royal "we" ...   :-)

"So, buy poles that will stay put and not collapse just when you need them
the most! Cam-locks are the best!"

I did fine with my twist-locks on the PCT, but then the same poles began to
slip in a way that I couldn't seem to field repair along the AT.  And then I
slipped on ice and snapped one of the (carbon fiber) suckers, but that's
another issue.

So I generally agree that a flicklock is a better option all things being
equal.

Note, however, that there's now a third option --- MSR trekking poles use
what they call a "surelock" system with little holes at fixed intervals on
the outer and a push-in pop-out locking unit the holds the pole in place.
My wife has a pair of these, and I like them --- pretty light and very easy
to get to exactly the same length each time, albeit within the limits of
where the pre-existing holes are.  Here's an image of this simple locking
mechanism:
http://static.shop033.com/resources/5F/6495/Image/poles_surelockInfo.jpg

What I don't know about these is how durable they are.  A good set of
trekking poles should IMO last at least a couple of thru-hikes, apart from
replacing pole tips.   If anyone does a thru-hike with either of the MSR
options available, please post your results afterwards.

      Brian Lewis / 'Gadget'