[pct-l] MID MARCH hike

Meridith Rosendahl meridith.rosendahl at gmail.com
Sat Mar 2 12:35:57 CST 2013

I agree with Charles and Shroomer.

I live near Chester and Highway 36 and yesterday drove highway 36 and
32 on the way to Chico.  There is still a lot of snow and at lower
elevations that I anticipated.  At our elevation, about 4500 feet,
there's still about 3 feet of snow in the shade.  More coming in
tonight and a dumping on Wednesday.  Passing the trailhead on 36, the
snow level is anywhere from 6" to 2 feet, and Butt Mountain is not
anywhere near hikable.  You would need good route-finding skills.

Do try a desert hike, it can be gorgeous this time of year with
wildflowers blooming everywhere.  Cold at night though.

Piper's Mom

Message: 7