[pct-l] Ice axes?

Scott Williams baidarker at gmail.com
Sat Mar 2 11:05:17 CST 2013

It all depends on the year and the snow.  If it continues to be a low snow
year than maybe not, but several storms are stacked up and heading into CA
this next week and they could completely change the picture.  Our group
used them and crampons and microspikes in 2010 which was a very cold spring
with little melt off.  In 2012 people hiked on dirt where we had used ice
axes.  Just one serious storm cycle and a cold snap can change the picture
dramatically, so I'd stay posted and be prepared with one.  Others on this
list have never had to use them, but in a cold spring and with hard snow on
the passes, I still travel with one.

Shroomer