[pct-l] Euroshim swing--has anyone used hands free?

Scott Williams baidarker at gmail.com
Fri Mar 1 22:58:07 CST 2013

Except in a really strong wind I always use my trekking umbrella hands
free.  It looks just like the one in the picture, but I got it on sale for
$20 with no logos, so hunt around.  Go-Lite was selling the same thing for
$25 last summer during a sale.

I find no need for a fancy hook up.  I put my chest strap across the
umbrella shaft, keeping the hand grip bulb below the strap.  Synch it down
more securely as the wind kicks up, but only in the strongest of blows did
I have to grab it to keep it from blowing away.  At those times I'd hold
one hiking pole and the umbrella with one hand and keep using the other
pole for hiking, or running like crazy to get off the ridge and away from
the lightening strikes.  But in most rains it just snugs up against my
chest and covers my upper body and the top of my pack and allows me to keep
my camera readily available for those gorgeous rain and mist shots.  My
lens always stayed dry.

I wouldn't hike without my trusty umbrella.

Shroomer