[pct-l] Jobs after the Trail

Diane Soini of Santa Barbara Hikes diane at santabarbarahikes.com
Fri Mar 1 19:17:05 CST 2013

My IP address seems to be on the spam list so let's see what happens
here after changing some email settings...

My experience was thus: I quit a good high paying job to go hike the
trail. I hiked the trail two summers in a row, two halves. In between
hikes I found a company that would offered repeated seasonal work, so
I could say that I was continuously employed. When I sent out resumes
and cover letters and filled out applications, there was nothing to
indicate I had frolicked through meadows of wildflowers for two
summers. When it came time to go to interviews, I decided I would not
volunteer any information about hiking unless it seemed like the
answer would be helpful.

I do not remember exactly what I was asked, but ended up talking
about my hikes in two interviews and got both jobs. The question was
probably why did I leave Company X (because it's such a high-profile
great local company). I told them that I decided I wanted to travel.
That's the reason I told Company X I was quitting anyway and it was
true. When asked about the details, I decided to tell them about my
hikes. I decided that if they didn't think what I did was a sign of
determination, strength and the ability to achieve whatever I set my
mind to, I wouldn't want to work there anyway. People were very
interested. I got both jobs.

I had already proven to myself that I could live on very little
money, that there was more to life than getting a job and that I
could make what money I had last for a long time with seasonal jobs.
Basically, I was cool and comfortable, not desperate. I had nothing
to lose and they had everything to gain.