[pct-l] Fwd: Jobs after the Trail

Fred Walters fredwalters2 at gmail.com
Fri Mar 1 07:25:48 CST 2013

(Based on UK) When I had to recruit people I was always far more impressed
with people who had taken a year (or more) out and done something/long term
travelled/"done something different not work related"/etc.  I was always
recruiting for software developers (office and desk based ...).  I always
felt that people who had undertaken these sorts of things had faced
challenges and met them (even if it did not always work out as they
wished); even sought out challenges.  They had demonstrated that they do
not shy away from challenges, they embrace change and new ideas, they
adapt.  All things being "equal" (i.e. experience, ability, etc) I would
place the "well travelled applicant" in a far stronger position.

Those jobs/employers who want somebody to,turn-up, do assigned duties
without question (i.e. basically your "automaton") might not like those who
have undertaken such challenges, but also taking such a job would probably
be frustrating and short-lived anyway.

However, not everybody recruiting has the same viewpoint.  Some seem to
think that the "well travelled" might just decide to up and off and travel
again leaving them.  They overlook that even the run-of-the-mill employee
(education, job, job, job,...) is equally likely to decide to progress
their careers faster with a move to another company.

I have always been more scared of my own disappointment at not having tried
something that at trying something and not succeeding.

But different people with different aims seek different things  so above is
my own outlook and NOT advice.