[pct-l] Just add water recipes

dicentra dicentragirl at yahoo.com
Tue Jun 25 14:56:47 CDT 2013

These are all from the One Pan Wonders (my) website. Thru hikers will want to double or triple the amounts. Putting it back on the pct-l b/c I think a lot of people might be interested... There's more stuff on the site, but this will get you started.

Happy eating!

~Dicentra

Lemon Dill Tuna and Rice

1/3 cup instant rice
1/2  teaspoon  vegetable bouillon
1 tablespoon mixed dried vegetables
2 packets
True Lemon
1  teaspoon dried dill
1  3-ounce package tuna

At  home: combine  all the dry ingredients  in a zip locking plastic  bag. Carry the tuna  seperately.

In camp:  place bag in a cozy. Place the foil  pouch  between the cozy and the bag to warm. Add just enough water to cover.
Let  stand 5-10 minutes. Stir in the tuna and serve.

Cherry Chicken Stuffing

1 6 ounce box stuffing mix with seasonings
1 3 ounce can  chicken
2 tablespoons dried cherries, chopped

At home:  repackage the stuffing mix into a zip locking plastic bag. Carry the cherries  in a second bag.

In camp: bring 1 1/2 cups water to a boil. Add  stuffing mix. Stir until cooked. Add the cherries and chicken
just before  serving.

Mushroom and Sun Dried Tomato Rice

1/4 cup instant rice
2 T dried mushrooms (I like a mix - mine had  chanterelles, button and oyster mushrooms)
1 T sundried tomatoes, chopped  small
1/2 t onion flakes
1/4 t dried thyme
1/2 t chicken or vegetable  bullion
Salt  and pepper to taste

At home: combine everything in  a zip locking freezer bag.

In camp: add water to cover and place  in a cozy until the rice is rehydrated. Stir and eat!

Lentil and Rice Pilaf

1/4 cup  (cooked) dehydrated lentils
1/4 cup instant rice
1 tablespoon mixed dried  vegetables
1/4 teaspoon onion flakes
1/4 teaspoon ground coriander
1/8  teaspoon ground allspice
salt and pepper to taste
1 tablespoon olive oil  (optional)

At home: combine all  of the dry ingredients  in a zip locking plastic bag.
Carry the olive oil in a  screw top container.

In camp: add  enough hot water to cover (about 1/2 cup). Let stand for 5 minutes or until the lentils and rice are tender.
Stir in oil before eating.

Rice Primavera

1 cup instant rice
¼ cup dried mixed veggies
1 tablespoon bouillon powder (any flavor)
2 single serving packets of Parmesan or Romano cheese

At home: combine the rice, veggies and bouillon in a zip  locking plastic bag.
Carry the cheese separately.

In camp: bring 1 cup of water to a boil. Add the rice and  veggies. Simmer for 1-2 minutes until the
rice is tender and the veggies are  rehydrated.  Serve topped with the cheese.

http://www.onepanwonders.com ~ Backcountry Cooking at its Finest
http://www.freewebs.com/dicentra