[pct-l] Best Backpack for multi-day trips

Timothy Nye timpnye at gmail.com
Fri Jun 21 14:42:45 CDT 2013

It seems to me that your expectations are, it least in part, mutually exclusive.  The primary concern of many is weight; if you're currently lugging around 5 pounds I understand that part of your concern. However, most of us on the list would be, i believe, figuring out what pockets, straps, etc. they could be cutting off such a pack rather than adding them on to it.

Personally, I currently have two go-to packs for different situations so that I at least have the option of switching out. First, a MLD Exodus, which, at 16 oz, I believe has been replaced in the MLD gear line up. This is, of course, frameless, but gives me a sub 8 lb base weight. Otherwise, despite its shortcomings in terms of durability, I'm on my second Osprey, which is a minimalist frame pack ( ventilation ) with straps for poles, an axe loop, etc. Off the top of my head its around 32 oz, I think, if not, someone can correct me. It takes a bear canister nicely and keeps it off your pack and has better hip belt protection, which, not counting the bear canister but with heavier gear in shoulder seasons works out, again for me, with a base weight at 12 lbs of so.

I wouldn't recommend more than 30 lbs for the Exodus, or similar style pack, or 35 lbs for the Osprey.  Before I started doing miles, I was under the illusion that I needed a lot of stuff that I really didn't. I do like to be comfortable and safe, though.  These weights, combined with some experience, allows that both in terms of weight reduction and what I choose to carry. I predict your gear overall, and not just your pack, will change proportionate to the amount of use they receive and the amount of research you do yourself. This question on the list is a good start, but if you haven't already done so, spend some time exploring the inherent compromises involved between functionality, weight and cost. That's time well spent.

Incidentally, I've always felt that the pack should be the last piece of gear you acquire, as it should fit the rest of your gear, that is, the gear for the purpose at hand. It can be counterproductive to fit the gear to the pack. Just a thought.

Gourmet

Sent from my iPad