[pct-l] Transportation and parking near Section O

Sean Nordeen sean.nordeen at gmail.com
Mon Jun 17 22:32:31 CDT 2013

I'm going to be hiking that section starting July 1st to make up some miles
I missed in 2009.  This section would be much nicer to hike in Sept or
early October as its normally hot in summer.

After doing my own research, this is what I'm currently planning to do.
I'll leave my car in Mt. Shasta city at a trail angels place that I got
permission from (thanks JoAnn).  They will take me to the Greyhound bus
station in Weed on Monday morning for the 8am bus to Redding.  At Redding
I'm taking the 10:35am RABA bus to Burney (
http://www.rabaride.com/routes/burneyexpress.html).   After grabbing an
early lunch at the McD's there (and likely carrying out Dinner as well),
I'm hitching to the trail crossing on Hwy 299.  However, I know hikers who
have hitched directly to Burney Falls SP off Hwy 89.  After I finish at the
I-5, I'll hitch back up to Mt. Shasta city.

Alternatives I found are: Take the midnight train (Amtrak) in Dunsmuir to
Redding and take the morning RABA bus to Burney.  Or pay for a direct
shuttle to Burney Falls (http://www.shastashuttle.com); its ~$105 from
Shasta City, ~$116 from Dunsmuir according to the PDF file I found on their
website.  The Greyhound/RABA buses are cheaper though you loose the whole
morning.

-Miner