[pct-l] Northern half of Washington

Judith McGuire judithsmcguire at gmail.com
Mon Jun 17 15:05:37 CDT 2013

We're now looking at doing the northern half of Washington, from
Snoqualmie to Manning starting August 25 for 2 1/2-3 weeks.  I realize
it's out of date but the OR/WA PCT guidebook description of the
clearcutting south of Snoqualmie makes it sound pretty ugly (even
though Goat Rocks sounds outstanding), which is why I opted for the
section north of there.  Any opinions from the PCT-L on comparative
beauty southern half vs. northern half of Washington?  We can get a
ride to the start of our hike but have to find our own way back to
Seattle/Portland/Vancouver for the trip back to the East coast.

So I have a few questions.

One of us has a single walled tent (Tarptent Rainbow).  It's a great
tent (served me well on my AT thru hike) but when it rains a lot it's
not so good.  Any thoughts on probability of early rains (snows?) up
there?

I read about bears around Stehekin.  I hate to carry the extra 2
pounds, but should I bring my bear canister?

I read about snow fields and glaciers.  Any need to bring low grade
(instep) crampons?

As I read it, you only need a permit for the area north of Stehekin
and can get a pass at the ranger station there.  True?

Thanks for the great response to my earlier request!

Judo (Judy McGuire)