[pct-l] Bear Canisters, Oregan

Scott Williams baidarker at gmail.com
Wed Jun 12 10:05:46 CDT 2013

Because of the weight, I never carry a bear can when not required to, but
know others who do just for the peace of mind.  There are lots of trees in
OR and hanging was never a problem, or just keeping it in my tent with me.
 Take your cues from what you see.  If there are lots of bear signs, ripped
up logs, bear scratch trees, tracks and scat on trail, be precautious and
hang your food.  But OR bears are hunted and much more timid than their
counterparts in the NPs and wilderness areas of the Southern Sierra.  The
bears in the High Sierra are a different story and bear cans are great
there.

I haven't ever used an Ursack, but others on this list swear by them.

Have a great hike.

Shroomer