[pct-l] Thru numbers

Timothy Nye timpnye at gmail.com
Mon Jun 10 11:28:07 CDT 2013

There is, however, a central truth to Ann Marie's observation that when angels are present and providing magic, probably especially at the Walker Pass Ruck, which is one of the major magic stops on the trail, that bad behavior is unlikely to be exhibited.  I think her point is that it is events such as this that condition hikers to expect and potentially rely on caches and magic. One can disagree on the nature and extent to which this may occur, and all hikers are different, but I would posit that the "weaker" hikers and the partiers are more susceptible.

It's a Fox Butterfield frame of reference to view hikers reactions at a major magic scene to be representative of the obverse; that is, hiker's reactions where magic is expected, but not present.

 To be clear, I think Walker Pass is a great event, and I especially appreciated catching a ride down to Lake Isabella when I went through there. Yet, the viewpoint from the angel perspective is different from the active hiker perspective, something I mean no disrespect when posting in response to a triple crowner and multiple PCT thru.

The trail is changing quickly as measured by those hiking it. It's difficult to justify anyone's viewpoint being any more or less valid than anyone else's, since being judgmental about the "proper" way to hike the trail seems to degenerate into a microcosm of political debates about dependency and self reliance. The problem on the trail is when one hiking style effects another's hike, hence this discussion. At the end of the day, the trail belongs to all. The experience each year will be governed by the cumulative impact of all rhe individual choices made by those on and around it.

I come down on the self reliance side of things, but to me the best answer lies in the middle. It will be interesting to see how this all plays out in the aggregate and whether the trail reaches some level of carrying capacity, or whether the numbers are destined to continually increase.

Gourmet

Sent from my iPad