[pct-l] Thru numbers

Dan Welch welchenergy at gmail.com
Mon Jun 10 09:15:18 CDT 2013

<<  I don't think sending money to the anonymous trail angels who leave
caches is a solution to hikers with bad behavior. The bad behavior won't go
away and money usually isn't the motivation for leaving an anonymous cache.

I agree that sending a donation and a note of thanks to trail angels won't
solve bad hiker behavior.  I agree that's a problem, but it's not the issue
I'm trying to address.  The trail angels really DO have hard expenses (as
one earlier poster called them.)  The few I've met do not appear to be high
income folks where the expense of doing this is of no concern.  With the
increasing numbers I have to think this will present more and more
difficulty for them - particularly for those "anonymous" trail angels who
stock water caches and coolers.  Leaving a donation with those you meet or
stay at is a no brainer (or should be for those who can afford it - right?)
But what about those you never meet?  They are just as impacted by the
increasing numbers...  Maybe more so since they receive few or no donations
from an increased number of hikers.

I am not thinking of a "compensation system" for the effort that is
involved.  I understand they do this from the goodness of their hearts.  But
I would still like to send notes of thanks and a small donation for their
hard expenses.  Just my 2 cents...

Timberline