[pct-l] Thru numbers

Dan Welch welchenergy at gmail.com
Sun Jun 9 18:35:57 CDT 2013

<<  We felt frustrated at not feeling comfortable leaving a few bucks to
offset costs, but as another post pointed out it could well be taken by
someone behind us.
Perhaps BEFORE the season kicks off next year, someone  defray could come up
with a credible list of angels and their mailing addresses so we could pop a
few bucks their way and defray costs. >>

I am planning a 2014 PCT thru-hike, and I for one think this is a great
idea.  I've read the posts about leaving money at the caches and I'm not
entirely comfortable with that.  I fully realize that if I send donations
ahead of time I may not even realize their generosity.  They may not be
active next year, in which case my donation may be a way of thanking them
for all of the trail angel work they have done in the past.  I may get
sick/injured or whatever and not make it to their locale at the right time.
I'm OK with that, too.

A collection of contact info would also help those who may want to send
donations and/or notes of thanks AFTER the fact

I realize it is not possible to get all (or maybe even most) of the trail
angels mailing addresses.  But in the off chance that someone has attempted
to reach out to many of the trail angels, does anyone have even a partial
collection of addresses?  I may even be willing to serve as a collecting
point for the contact information to try and make it more complete if others
think this is a good idea.

This may sound a little crazy but I think a note of appreciation for what
they have done over the years and a few bucks to help support the work they
do would be appreciated by most of them.  That is what is important to me.

Anyway - I believe this was Burning Daylight's idea and it strikes me as a
good one.  Do others agree?  Disagree??  Have any ideas how we can get this
started?

Timberline