[pct-l] Is WILD good for the PCT?

Diane Soini dianesoini at gmail.com
Sun Jun 9 13:04:25 CDT 2013

Ha ha I gave up and quit several times in the first 800 miles. A few
times more in the next 200 miles and one more time, reluctantly, in
the next 500 miles. Then I fought quitting daily during the final 700
miles. Quitting was part of my experience.

And even though I had backpacked a lot, I hardly considered myself
"experienced". At least not in the way of having expert orienteering
skills or knowing how to use every kind of backcountry equipment or
even knowing what it looks like when snow falls from the sky let
alone how to walk on the god-forsaken stuff. I gained a little more
on the PCT but I still am lacking in many skills.

A good way to have hiked this year would have been to start in Sierra
City or South Lake Tahoe, go north, then return and go south. Autumn
in So Cal is a nicer season for hiking. The weather is more gentle
and the trees have more color. You do miss the wildflowers, though
and water would be more scarce, but still available in the
trustworthy creeks/springs, especially if you can time the final
couple hundred miles after the first storm of the season. We like to
backpack locally on Thanksgiving weekend, which is always after the
first storm of the season. The creeks are back, the weather is nice,
the trees have some color, the days are warm and the nights are cool.