[pct-l] Advice on Doing N. California Later

Sean Nordeen sean.nordeen at gmail.com
Wed Jul 24 23:20:42 CDT 2013

Just for your reference, in 2009, I left S. Lake Tahoe on July 21 and still
finished on Oct.2.  So you aren't necessarily too far behind to finish
before winter comes to the Cascades.  To give you an idea of pacing, I left
Kennedy Meadows on June 24.  I pretty much did 27-28miles/day after Sierra
City until Washington when it dropped some due to shorter days in mid to
late September.

As a general rule, Nor California can be hiked even after snow comes to the
Northern Cascades and hiking through most of October should be pretty safe
and with nice scenery with some fall color.  It may be wet from rain and
the later you are in October, the more likely you'll see snow.  I wouldn't
count on November though it is possible.

-Miner