[pct-l] Mountain Lion Encounter

Betty Wheeler bettywheeler at gmail.com
Wed Jul 24 14:45:50 CDT 2013

Great discussion by everyone who responded - thanks!  Helpful to know that
pepper spray is illegal in Yosemite, helpful to read the detailed advice
from Scott and others. I totally understand how low the risk is with
respect to cougars, but just want to be as informed as possible.

I get what bear cans have achieved, and use mine in some places where it
isn't required. I think what Scott says about pepper spray makes good
sense, not only for safety but as a deterrent that teaches cougars/bears to
stay away from humans. I carried it in Yellowstone and it definitely
improved my peace of mind. Since no one reported instances where people
have actually used pepper spray on a mountain lion, I turned to my good
friend Google and found this:
http://fwp.mt.gov/recreation/safety/wildlife/lion/lionFirstHandAccount.html
and this:
http://fwp.mt.gov/recreation/safety/wildlife/lion/lionBearSpray.html.

Both links are based on the same incident, but there is an interesting
account in the first link, and what sounds like good advice in the 2nd link.

Thanks, all.
--Betty