[pct-l] Mountain Lion Encounter

Dan Jacobs youroldpaldan at gmail.com
Mon Jul 22 21:39:45 CDT 2013

On Jul 22, 2013 5:36 PM, "ralvek088-hiking at yahoo.com" <
ralvek088-hiking at yahoo.com> wrote:

> However, please read the following for a completely different and
terrorizing mountain lion encounter along the Wonderland trail:

> http://alpine-works.com/2011/09/a-day-in-wonderland/

Ah, running. A natural chase trigger for the predator. That cat probably
wanted nothing more to do with the human, but the human was running, and
that probably was enough to interest the cat to follow the human even
though the human stopped running. I watch my own cats at home and see this
behavior. Even though the bug, laser dot, or toy has stopped moving, they
are still interested in it, and will immediately resume the chase or play
as soon as it moves.

I haven't had the opportunity, and hope I never do, but if confronted by a
cougar, and it won't leave me alone, I'm going to run straight at it, arms
up and waving wildly, screaming at the top of my lungs, swearing if it
doesn't run away I'm gonna eat the kitty! Why? Because prey *never*
attacks. Never.

No, I may not be "normal", but fear is one of those things I don't like to
have, and I'm betting that 99.99% of these cats want nothing to do with a
human.

Dan Jacobs
Washougal