[pct-l] Maps and bail out points

Ellen Shopes igellenig at gmail.com
Mon Jul 1 11:45:42 CDT 2013

Sending GPS info to halfmile for bailouts is a good idea.  He is very conscientious in providing useful info.
Another alternative is to carry (quit groaning guys) another source.  I often carry a forest service map, or a xeroxed section of one because they show bailouts, alternate routes, fire detours, and so much else.  I've always worried that I or my husband could get injured or sick.  One of us may need to get out by the shortest route to get help, which may mean leaving the PCT.
Guidebooks sometime have info about the side trails, although they are a heavier alternative.
I admit to being a map lover, so there is a bias here.  I love looking at maps.  I love my GPS too, but the little screen just doesn't give me the same satisfaction (or the bigger picture).
No Butt

Sent from my iPad