[pct-l] Foot Expansion

Mark Halverstadt markhalverstadt at gmail.com
Wed Jan 30 16:12:16 CST 2013

Afternoon PCT-L,
I have recently started to research hiking shoe options for my
thru-hike this spring and have come across reports of past hikers
having their feet expand during their hike. I am wondering if any past
thru-hikers could expand on this. Some reports I have read say that
their feet flatten out or they grow up to 1.5 in size! Does age or
gender matter at all (I am a 28 year old Male btw)? What is the rate
of expansion? Should I plan to buy, in advance, a 1 size higher in my
shoes for the latter part of the hike? Please let me know what you
have heard or your experience with this subject. Thanks!