[pct-l] Bounce Box

Diane Soini of Santa Barbara Hikes diane at santabarbarahikes.com
Wed Jan 30 21:55:06 CST 2013

I used a 3 gallon plastic bucket with a handle. It was somewhat
easier to carry from post offices back to my hotel or campsite with
the handle. I have compared the price to mail this monstrosity with
other boxes and sometimes it was cheaper. It was usually around $11
or $12 to mail. I crammed it full of crap. Sometimes I had that plus
a box because I sent myself specialty foods that you can find
anywhere and ended up sending that box of food over and over again.
You can reuse cardboard boxes, by the way. I found a few in Dumpsters
to use. And you can mail a bear canister in the raw, no need to put
it inside anything, so theoretically, you could use a bear canister
as a bounce box.

The tyranny of the post office sucks, though, so if you can eliminate
the bounce box you'll have a better time.