[pct-l] Pack base weight

CHUCK CHELIN steeleye at wildblue.net
Mon Jan 28 08:09:05 CST 2013

Good morning,

UBSeRiOuS is correct:  The total-weight thing can creep up on a hiker,
particularly after a big resupply.  My base weight is usually around 8
pounds – almost always sub-10 – but here’s an example of how the total pack
will increase:  http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=277060

For me the greatest load away from a resupply point seems to be out of
Mojave.  The 38.7 pound pack weight noted was pretty accurate because I
weighed the whole thing on the postal scale at the Post Office just before
I departed Mojave.  I was loaded with food for 150 miles up to Kennedy
Meadows, plus I was facing a pretty dry stretch for first 20-some miles.  The
water need will depend greatly upon the season, and when in the day I
depart north; meaning if I depart mid-day I’ll probably have to dry-camp
that evening which increases the water requirement.

This section has a greater total-weight requirement than others, such as
the section through the Sierra north of Kennedy Meadows, because the water
load is higher.

There are options to reduce the food load by stopping more frequently for
resupply, but that costs time, money, and extra effort so we all must make
that decision for our self.

My consolation during those first 10-15 heavy miles is remembering that I’m
not one of the sumo-hikers with a 60-80 pound pack.

Steel-Eye

http://www.trailjournals.com/steel-eye

http://www.trailjournals.com/SteelEye09/