[pct-l] Pack base weight

David Thibault dthibaul07 at gmail.com
Sun Jan 27 14:40:44 CST 2013

There are lots of PCT thru hiker in the 20# base weight category.  The hike
is very doable with this kind of base weight.  As a matter of fact 20 plus
years ago most all the PCT thru hikers would have marvelled that anyone
doing a PCT thru hike had a base weight so low as 20 pounds.

Now all things being equal - light pack weigh is better (just not
necessary), and the suggestions on gear were very good for how to drop
weight.
But if my choice was hike this year with a 20# base weight or wait a year
to save up and hike next year with a 10 pound base weight I'd be on the
trail this year. And NO I won't be on the trail this year - so don't rub it
in!

Carrying too much food or water can really add up too -and you will find
yourself doing this on the trail too - its a learning experience....

Day-Late (who generally only measures his pack weight by lifting it and
stating - "that feels okay" or "that feels heavy")