[pct-l] PCT Plan in Excel or Google spreadsheets

CHUCK CHELIN steeleye at wildblue.net
Sat Jan 26 07:00:33 CST 2013

Good morning,

I agree with Fireweed, because my trip planning has become almost automatic
as well.  Now days, with the exception of buying food, I can gather and
pack all my gear and be ready to depart within about 2 hours.

Of all the features on my typical, left-brain planning spreadsheet, I now
only regularly use two:

I have listed all of the gear that I even remotely may wish to carry, with
the weight of each item.  I select the quantity of each item to take and
then punch a macro button that resorts the list in descending order of
extended weight.  It also totals the weight, but I pretty much know that
already.  What I really use it for is to print that as a pick-list of items
to pack.  As I put my hand on every single item during packing, I mark it
off the list.

The other feature of the spreadsheet is used by my logistics manager – wife
– when she creates a menu for resupply.  During a hike I tell her, 1) how
many day’s food I’ll need, and, 2) how many Calories per day to send.  She
uses the spreadsheet and those numbers to create a resupply box.  That
spreadsheet feature also prints a pick-list of food to pack in the box.

Steel-Eye

http://www.trailjournals.com/steel-eye
http://www.trailjournals.com/SteelEye09/