[pct-l] Fw: Wheeled Backpack

Barry Teschlog tokencivilian at yahoo.com
Wed Jan 23 11:45:12 CST 2013

Sir Mixalot wrote, in respose to Dan:

1. Have you done trail work on the PCT?  2. Have you ever seen a wheel
barrow used on projects that require moving LOTS of rocks and dirt? On Tue, Jan 22, 2013 at 4:58 PM, Dan Jacobs wrote: >Anyone that cannot see the difference between a wheeled pack carrier >that is pulled by someone's feet pushing against the ground and any >kind of bicycle or other mechanical conveyance is just too prejudiced >about the issue, in my opinion. I have seen some evidence that the >mountain bikers *may* have a better grasp on the difference than some >hikers, and while I will not win any friends here by saying that, the >Truth is the most important thing in any issue I care about, so I seek >it.
Response:

I do trail crew.  In 2012 I put in over 300 hours with PCTA and WTA.  I've used both wheelbarrows and power toters as part of trail projects in non-Wilderness areas.  Neither device is allowed in Wilderness.

Wheelbarrows and powered toters (tracked, gas powered walk behind loaders with a dump cart - basically a gas powered tracked wheelbarrow) are useful implements for trail crew when one needs to move large quantities of fill material moderate to long distances, either from a borrow site along the trail, or brought in from outside (and say, stockpiled at the trail head).

One down side of using these implements is that if parts of the trail that they must traverse is of marginal durability, the toter or wheelbarrow WILL chew up the tread.  Typically this is considered as part of the larger project - accepting that this part of the tread will get temporally chewed up to fix that part with the fill material being hauled by the wheel barrow or toter, and then as part of the overall project, the chewed up part of the tread is repaired as well (typically by laying down material that will harden the marginal part of the tread - good mineral soil, crushed rock capped by soil, etc).

The same consideration occurs even if these tools aren't used or the project is in Wilderness.  If the material is being hauled by volunteers in buckets or by pack animals, the better part of a year's worth of foot traffic can be concentrated on a short segment of the trail in a very short period of time, which could chew up marginal areas which would be repaired as part of the over all project.

At least when using these implements (wheelbarrows and power toters) as part of a trail crew project, the crew repairs the damage they do, leaving the entire trail in better condition that before the project started.  Other wheel uses do only damage to the trail, leaving continuous linear ruts in the tread from their high ground pressure tires that channel water along the tread, promoting erosion directly, softening of the tread by the water retention and disrupting drainage of properly out sloped tread, all of which leaves the tread even MORE vulnerable to future erosion and damage.

As to the practicality of using a wheeled back pack (which I haven't noticed much discussion on):

I'd observe that the PCT, or most trails that are for foot / hoof use only for that matter, will have steps or horizontal obstructions of some kind on them across the trail.  Check steps and "old school" protruding water bars are often times needed to control erosion on tread that is laid out on fragile soils or that is too steep relative to the lay of the ground or to arrest a serious erosion or water problem, or are legacy structures.   When doing trail crew with wheelbarrows or toters on trails with these steps, its typical to bring large wedges or dimensional lumber to act as ramps up or down the steps.  I'd suggest that the prospective user of such a wheel pack, load it up with their intended load, go hike for 10 miles, then come home and pull it up and onto a series of 4",6" and 8" high (or higher) steps to see how practical it may be on a simulated "real" PCT.  Also go down such steps - getting "punched" in the back (or where ever the harness
 for such a pack attaches to the person) as the wheel drops off the step may not very pleasant for a person with back issues. especially when going down a modestly steep trail.

I'd also suggest that the user of such a pack go out into their local woods and negotiate themselves and their wheel pack over some fallen trees - start off small, say one foot, then work your way up to the 2 footers, 3 footers and larger - all of which are not uncommon here in Washington, and do so on all ground types - flat, gently sloped and steeply sloped.  All trail users can NOT count on the fact that the trail will be totally logged out before they arrive, even though the volunteer sawyers do their best.  Equestrians by necessity account for this fact and expect to go around the larger logs or accept that they may need to back track and find alternate routes if an impassable log is across the trail on terrain (steep slope, along a cliff, etc) that their stock can not safely go around.

The prospective user of such a wheeled pack may find that it's not very practical in "real life" on a trail of the character of the PCT, no matter if it's legal or not.