[pct-l] Solo Female - Leaving Boyfriend At Home

Bob Bankhead wandering_bob at comcast.net
Mon Jan 21 22:06:39 CST 2013

Ah, young love. That means he's convincible (aka trainable).

Ask him to join you on one of your early overnight training hikes - just so
he can see what you'll be doing.
Pick a relatively easy hike with a nice destination where you know you'll be
mostly free of other campers.
Extra points if there's a lake or stream at camp where the two of you can
skinny dip or at least wash each other's back after the hike in.
Slip a small bottle of wine into your pack to go with dinner. Add a can of
V8 to go with breakfast.
Make it a trip he won't soon forget.

When you get ready for the next overnight training hike, ask him if he'd
like to join you.

With luck, he'll decide it's fun and want to go on longer training hikes;
maybe even part of the PCT; maybe even all of it. Alternatively, he could do
a running resupply for you through southern CA, meeting you at spots where
it's a goodly off-trail hike to your supplies (like Mojave and Walker Pass).
As a reward, he gets to join you for your layover days. By then, more than
just your back will definitely need washing. Variations are endless.

You're a woman; use your inbred sneakiness.