[pct-l] questions

dm at quixnet.net dm at quixnet.net
Mon Jan 21 12:34:45 CST 2013

I plan to start the PCT from Campo in mid-April and several questions come
to mind.

1 - With normal weather, will I need a down jacket and rain gear between
Campo and Kennedy Meadows?

2 - Would it be a risk to put off carrying rain gear until OR/WA?

3 - How to ship the backpack, FEDEX?  UPS?  I plan to fly to San Diego with
just an overnight bag because I do not trust the airport thieves with the
backpack and its expensive contents.

4 - Are bear canisters available for rent/sale at appropriate points or
should I buy one beforehand and ship it to a pickup point?

5 - How to ship drop boxes with fuel canisters?  The local UPS hub here will
not ship ANY pressurized container.  I've learned from USP Hq. that each hub
can make up its own rules.

Thanks for input from the veterans!

Dwane Koppler