[pct-l] Tarp vs Tarp Tent

linsey mowoggirl at yahoo.com
Fri Jan 18 19:47:50 CST 2013

Due to noxious fumes, it is not possible to safely cook in a tent.  It is a non issue to cook under a tarp.  For this reason alone, I would never take a tent on a distance hike (although I've used them plenty for car camping and even then, I also pitch a tarp as a "garage/kitchen").   Once I sat out an entire day of hiking at 6300 feet in my (double) GG Spinntwinn tarp with the sides pinned to the ground rather than hike the Goat Rocks Knife edge in 50 mile an hour winds and blowing sideways snow.  This would have sucked way worse if I'd have had to leave my shelter to cook--I was bored, but dry.
Check out PCT hiker 'Lint's' bug net tube that fits over his deployed umbrella for use under a tarp.  It is lighter than a net tent and will suffice.  This I saw on a PBS TV program called "Oregon Field Guide", I believe they archive online.
My preference is to Cowboy Camp but if it looks like rain, I fly a tarp.  Being from Washington, I appreciate being completely comfortable distance hiking thru rain and a tent simply won't cut it.  You may be surprised at how many distance hikers experience zero rain until they get to |Washington.  The attrition is typically high after their first big weather event as many had no clue their rain systems were ineffective.