[pct-l] Tarp vs Tarp Tent

Diane Soini of Santa Barbara Hikes diane at santabarbarahikes.com
Fri Jan 18 19:22:29 CST 2013

Lots of people on the PCT do just fine with just a tarp. Many cowboy
camp almost every night (they have the tarp or tent but don't use
it.) That was not me.

So Cal is Giant Ant World. I can't sleep when giant ants are crawling
all over me.

High Sierras is mosquito country. I can't sleep if mosquitos can
touch me or can get close to my face.

Nor Cal was mosquito country for me, too. Plus it was hot as hell and
I needed a private place to take off my clothes and lie on top of my
foam pad without a sleeping bag. By 1AM or so I could get into my
sleeping bag. I would go insane and not be able to sleep if I felt
any bug of any type on my naked body.

Oregon was the worst mosquito country I have ever experienced. I was
a month ahead of most thru-hikers though.  My hour of refuge in my
tent before I fell asleep was priceless. It was the only moment of
the day I was not running away from mosquitoes.

Washington rained a lot. I was unsure if a tent was better in rain
than a tarp, but I was glad to have a tent anyway. By then it hardly
mattered how much my gear weighed or even what kind of gear it was. I
didn't care anymore. Gear was just gear.