[pct-l] "Close Encounters with Hypothermia"

Ned Tibbits ned at mountaineducation.org
Fri Jan 18 16:30:34 CST 2013

Just another “Reality of the Trail” that often is overlooked and worth a quick read...

***

An interesting story worth reading was posted today on the BackpackingLight website (available to non-members of BPL) on how lack of decent raingear led to a very unpleasant day for a PCT thru-hiker.

  "Close Encounters with Hypothermia
  An unexpected rainstorm and inadequate gear threaten to end one hiker's PCT dreams, and potentially his life. Chapter 3 from Lawton Grinter's new book I Hike: Mostly True Stories from 10,000 Miles of Hiking."

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/ihike_hypothermia.html

Many folks would argue that you don't need good raingear on a JMT hike because it usually doesn't rain much and most rain that does come is the brief afternoon thunderstorm that relieves the heat of a hot day.

That's true, but you can on occasion encounter a day that approaches what is described in this story, even on the JMT in July/August.

Most cases of hypothermia happen in the 50-degree temperatures rather than in below freezing weather (people in winter usually carry protection whereas people in the summer often don't). Rain can really sap your body heat if you can't protect yourself from the wet.

I'm a big fan of both rainpants and a good rain jacket. I prefer raingear made with GoreTex PacLite, but there are other decent fabrics out there. Good raingear can also protect you from chilling winds. In unexpected sub-freezing weather, raingear can be worn inside a sleeping bag as a vapor barrier which will add a surprising degree of warmth though it also makes you feel a bit clammy.

The story is from a new book named "I Hike". Based on the extract at BPL, it looks like an interesting book. $7.69 in the Kindle edition, $14.95 in paper. Anyone read it?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00AEFDBHU
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0985241500

John Curran Ladd &
Ned Tibbits, Director