[pct-l] Tarp vs. Tarp tent

Shian Sung shian.sung at gmail.com
Fri Jan 18 14:32:17 CST 2013

Len, that was me. Glad to know the story was memorable ;)

It was a baby Jerusalem cricket. Nasty looking buggers. Got to hike from KM
to Whitney with ear drop antibiotics and one ear stuffed with cotton. It
happened cowboy camping 30 miles or so south of Walker Pass, ended up
hitching to the ER from there the next day.

To add to the conversation, I used a Tarptent (Rainbow) through the bug
season and then switched to a tarp for Washington and Oregon. Saw plenty of
rain but a tarp pitched well is in many ways a superior solution.

Tarptent - biggest pro is the bug protection. For me, a real big plus
during the season. I've also done the bivy with bug net many nights and
find it annoying. Many don't. Tarptent also sleeps much warmer.
Condensation can be an issue depending on which model and where/how you're
pitching it.

Tarp - open air is really nice and was actually much better for me during
the rainy season in terms of keeping everything else dry. More versatile
but experience pitching it is a must.