[pct-l] Tarp vs Tarp Tent

CHUCK CHELIN steeleye at wildblue.net
Fri Jan 18 08:52:27 CST 2013

Good morning, Kelsey,

The use of tarp-like shelters has been around for a very long time;
probably since the human race achieved behavioral modernity.  The current
technology has been adequately described -- what size, what material, how
to erect, etc. – but for many hikers, and particularly those new to the
activity, the question is more of the mind than it is of the technology.

A mostly-open-on-the-sides tarp shelter is squarely in the middle between
two different mindsets.  I love to sleep under nothing but the stars -- and
have been doing so since I began camping over 60 years ago -- so for me a
tarp is something to avoid using.  It is a burden I would rather not have
to carry, and it is only there against the possibility of precipitation.

To others a tarp is a third-rate shelter the openness of which may be
tolerated only to reduce the pack weight.  Typically it gets pitched every
night, but sleeping “under” it is not really comfortable to them when they
would really prefer to sleep “in” a real tent.

Questioning why that is, the answer is usually technical:  Enclosed tents
are warmer.  Tents keep out the bugs, snakes, and other little folk.  Tents
prevent rain from blowing under.  Tents provide privacy. Tents are what
most hikers use. Etc, etc.

Other people admit that being out in the open, in the dark, “unprotected”,
makes them very uncomfortable, although it’s always been unclear to me why
fortress walls of 0.9 ounce rip-stop nylon should provide any great comfort.
Without tossing around juvenile terms like, “… afraid of the dark!” or “…
scaredy cat!”, the fact is that night brings very primal fears.  There is
always the recollection, hidden somewhere in the mind, of all the,
“…ghoulies and ghosties, and long-legged beasties, and things that go bump
in the night.”

For anyone not experienced with open sleeping or tarp-sleeping I would say
go outside and try it now – in the back yard, on the patio or deck, in a
little stealth-camp in the woods – but do it for several nights until it’s
clear that doing so is becoming more and more comfortable; or perhaps until
it’s equally clear that it’s just not going to happen.

Without some experience, buying a tarp now with the assumption that the
technology will all work out, may result in what writer John Hawkins
termed, “… supreme confidence without supreme competence”.

Enjoy your planning,

Steel-Eye

http://www.trailjournals.com/steel-eye
http://www.trailjournals.com/SteelEye09/