[pct-l] PCT traffic and solar panels

Sean Nordeen sean.nordeen at gmail.com
Thu Jan 17 21:54:56 CST 2013

When I hiked the PCT NOBO in 2009, I summited Mt. Whitney on June 27 and
arrived in Tuolumne Meadows,Yosemite on July 12.  Ignoring the other NOBO
PCT hikers, I never went a day that I didn't encounter other backpackers;
many were JMT thru-hikers going SOBO.  One night, just before VVR, I shared
a camp with a large group of Scout Masters from Conn. who were gambling
their food away with each other. They were doing the JMT SOBO.  I actually
ran into 2 backcountry rangers along the JMT (and it wasn't Yosemite).  The
fords were only knee high and I only had snow a few miles before or after
the high passes.  If you talk to someone who hiked in 2011 which was a big
snow year, they'll have a very different story to tell.

The conditions you'll encounter and the number of other hikers will be
dependent on how much snow pack remains when you get there.  If its a big
snow year, you may won't to delay your hike unless you like a big challenge.

-Miner.