[pct-l] boots?

CHUCK CHELIN steeleye at wildblue.net
Tue Jan 15 14:30:53 CST 2013

Good afternoon, Tuula,

Since I have, and do wear, a wide variety of shoes and boots I believe I
can discuss this topic with a minimum of bias.  Shoe retailers will not
agree, but the difference between typical running shoes, trail running
shoes, and trail hiking shoes is minor.  They are largely distinctions
without much difference.  Among all those variants I buy whatever is
comfortable, and preferably what is on sale at the moment.  Currently I’m
wearing a mix of styles by a wide variety of the big shoe names.  At:
http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=263804 can be seen that I was
wearing pavement running shoes, and they worked great.

So, why so many choices?  Modern marketers like to provide a choice for
every niche – they say.  What they mean is they want you to buy 15
different types of sneaker to cover your 15 favorite activities. From their
standpoint, it certainly beats selling you one style of shoe to do
everything.

In general, running shoes for pavement may have more foam cushioning in the
soles; something I even appreciate on the trail.

Sometimes trail shoes have a bit more protection at the end of the toe so
we klutzes can stub occasionally with less cursing.

The outsole tread of pavement shoes is likely to be in a somewhat larger,
and more blocky, pattern for better wear life, while trail shoes often have
a more jagged and “frilly” pattern for better traction at the expense of
poorer wear life.  In that regard, I like to use the blocky pavement-shoe
pattern over snow because it is much easier to install shoe-screws in those
blocks for traction – traction that far exceeds what I would have with
frilly trail shoes.

Trail shoe peddlers often like to make their tops of more solid material
and/or waterproof or water resistant material.  All that is great at
keeping the water in after the absolutely inevitable dunking and wading.  I
want mesh tops to breathe in hot country, and aspirate out the water from
wading.  Breathability is important: I believe it’s Yogi who says something
to the effect that she likes to feel the breeze on her toes.  I agree.

Enjoy your planning,

Steel-Eye

http://www.trailjournals.com/steel-eye

http://www.trailjournals.com/SteelEye09/