[pct-l] Fuel Usage - Vargo Triad

Scott Williams baidarker at gmail.com
Mon Jan 14 22:03:11 CST 2013

I hiked the CDT stoveless this year, and probably won't use a stove again
it was so successful, but on the PCT I hiked with a simple alcohol, cat
food can stove, with a foil windscreen and stand, a set up which I've been
using for about 15 years.  It is very light and simple to use, you just
have to get to know how much fuel to begin with as there's no turning this
little guy off and save fuel.  I love that I can make them out of throw
away junk and they burn as well as some of the really sophisticated stoves
I've used over the years.  Some folks hate them as they have an open flame
with fuel that can splash out if knocked over which could cause a fire, but
then other backpacking stoves are prone to danger if knocked over.  In my
many years of use, I've never had an overturn.  If I was setting out to
thru hike again with cooked food, I'd start with a junky, old cat can stove.

Shroomer