[pct-l] sleeping bags & liners

CHUCK CHELIN steeleye at wildblue.net
Tue Jan 15 10:38:24 CST 2013

Good morning,

I don’t wash a sleeping bag during a long trip; and I don’t use a bag liner
or any sort of sleeping clothes.  I sleep in my hiking shorts and tee-shirt.
In terms of efficiency, any weight of liners or specialized clothing would
be better devoted to a few extra ounces of down in the bag.  It is true
that a “sleeping system” should include any other clothing that are
separately necessary, but, as the saying goes, “On a cold night if I don’t
sleep wearing everything I brought, then I brought too much.”

Beyond my hiking shirt I usually carry a fleece jacket and a windshirt.  I
sometimes sleep wearing them, but they are not redundant like sleeping
clothes.

One great help in keeping my sleeping bag fresh is the way I open it in the
sun almost every day.  I don’t carry the bag in a stuff-sack; I just poke
the pack as loosely as possible near the top.  Then when I take a break in
a patch of sunshine it’s easy to yank it out for a good airing.  If the bag
were in the bottom of the pack -- or very much worse, compressed in one of
those torture devices – I may not bother to take it out and subsequently go
to the trouble of repacking it.

Mid-morning, in the sun and breeze, I drape it over bushes or limbs for a
while; turn it bottom-side-up for a while; and then turn it inside-out for
more time.  Also I think it’s also important to loosely roll, then unroll,
the thing between each turning.  By doing so the presumably moist and funky
air inside with the down is forced out to be exchanged with fresh mountain
air when the bag is again fluffed and placed in the sunshine.

Steel-Eye

http://www.trailjournals.com/steel-eye
http://www.trailjournals.com/SteelEye09/