[pct-l] boots? - evidence based knowledge...

David Thibault dthibaul07 at gmail.com
Mon Jan 14 23:13:56 CST 2013

And of course once you find that perfect set of footwear the manufacturer
will discontinue it the following week.
Luckily they will come out with a new improved model that is not even close
in size and feel to the one it is replacing.

Day-Late (at least that's how it works for me)

Jeffrey Olson Wrote:

HOw I love to hear from Yoshiro. However, evidence be damned!!! At least
in terms of research on what works best for long distance hiking. If you
don't know beforehand, you'll soon discover what works for you.

WHAT WORKS FOR YOU...

This takes 100s of miles, be they spent in seven, 10, 14, 35 or 80 day
trips, a year or two or five or 20 of hiking. I love the reality that
dozens of hikers start at Campo ignorant of what will come. Faiththings
will work out is far more powerful than any objective knowledge one may
carry into a long hike.

That said, scientific knowledge is a nice frame to take into account.
However, it's no more than a frame. It can help understand experience,
but can't tell us what to do. And without the miles under the boots so
to speak, evidence-based knowledge is little better than my friend Waldo
who knows everything...
.
.