[pct-l] Reality Check on Craig's PCT Planner

Lance Marshall lancem at wvi.com
Mon Jan 14 16:48:48 CST 2013

Rhiannon

Ditto on adjusting your hours per day.  Miles per hour alone is a bit
arbritary.  For instance hiking 3mph for an hour while stopping an
accumulated 10 minutes to gawk at a view, take a picture, talk to other
hikers, etc, etc brings your average down to 2.5mph!

Planner settings of 3mph for 8 hours and 2 mph for 12 hours both deliver 24
mpd on flat ground, but any elevation penalty will screw up your daily
milage.  So put in a realistic number of hours per day.

I've used Craig's PCT Planner for section hiking 1550 miles of the PCT.  I
work backwards from miles and hours per day (determined by trail conditions
and my fitness level) and adjust the planner accordingly.

For me that means settings early in a hike of about 2.25 mph, 11 hours per
day and 30 minute elevation penalty (45 minute penalty through the Sierras).
Subtracting an hour for breaks and an hour penalty for 2000 feet elevation
gain results in 20.25 miles per day.  Within a couple of weeks I can bump up
both mph and hours per day.

Hope this helps,
-Lance