[pct-l] Best Practices

Ernie Castillo erniec01 at hotmail.com
Mon Jan 14 14:31:51 CST 2013

Regarding
I see much the same approach being taken by advocates of heavy boots and
heavy packs. I’ve begun to call those people the sumo-hikers.

The only advice I like to dispense is "Hike Your Own Hike."
That said, my PCT hike nearly a third of a century ago was with a large Jansport backpack, a Jansport Wedge tent, heavy leather boots with Vibram soles and lots of food and water. That was the mode of the day. The Train Angel network didn't exist in 1980. Heck, there were still some sections of the PCT under construction. My hiking mates and I had to be self supportive and able to survive any weather condition. There were no spot devices, no cell phones. So when blizzards hit, we pitched our tents and waited them out. Oh, I should tell you we started March 16.

Technology has changed and as I contemplate a bucket list return to the PCT (Acton to Tahoe broken up into 2 separate section hikes) my gear probably would change as well. But I am convinced I I had to I could once again survive some snow days as long as I am outfitted like a "heavy trucker" or Sumo Hiker. So that gives me flexibility in the Kennedy Meadows to Taho section. For the Agua Dulce to Kennedy Meadows section, I definitely see myself as an "ultra-lighter."

Ernie Castillo
PCT Class of 1980 and now carrying the stigma of Sumo Hiker