[pct-l] Reality Check on Craig's PCT Planner

Judson Brown judsonwb at gmail.com
Mon Jan 14 12:34:17 CST 2013

On flat ground, I usually find myself hiking about 3 mph. The best thing to
do is dress exactly like you would for hiking the trail, put on a pack with
your expected weight, and go on a flat hike of several miles with a known
length so you can time yourself. Just hike like you normally would, without
trying to hurry.

Then, with the same kit, find a hike with 1000 feet of gain and calculate
your speed once again. This will give you an idea of how much time you
should add for the climbing part.

As for hours per day, everyone varies. I usually hike 20-25 miles per day
(except in the Sierras). That's less than most thru-hikers, but a
respectable amount. I'm hiking by 7 each morning, and hike until 7 each
night. During the day, I take 2 half-hour breaks at 930 and 230, an hour at
noon, and an hour for dinner at five. This gives me 9 hours of actual
hiking time.

When I've used the planner, I found that it would always recommend fewer
miles per day than I wanted, so I would tweek the attributes until it gave
me what I wanted.

Hope this is helpful, and I'm a section hiker, so feel free to apply grains
of salt liberally.

bunnyslayer